Soul of the City Partnership Grant for Youth Programs
Soul of the City provides young people, ages 14 to 19, an opportunity to explore the role of the humanities in asking and answering critical questions about the world. The Soul of the City grant encourages the development and delivery of a high-quality humanities-driven youth engagement program. The award recognizes innovative models that empower and engage young people in programs that build civic engagement, critical thinking and leadership skills. This opportunity is part of the Humanities Grant Program supported with funding from the District of Columbia Government through the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities.
Awarded since 2014, Soul of the City grants provide communities, neighborhood organizations, churches and educational organizations the opportunity to work with young people through the humanities lens. Prospective projects will:
- be a dynamic curriculum with defined lessons
- use the humanities to introduce young Washingtonians to the city’s local, national, and international dimensions
- use humanities disciplines, concepts, ideas and methods to help participants
understand themselves and the human experience
- provide tools to encourage youth participants to improve themselves and the world in which they live
- produce confident, service-oriented leaders with increased communication and critical thinking skills
Applications are currently being accepted until July 31, 2020, 11:59pm ET; awardees are tentatively announced in mid August. Download the Request for Proposal for grant details and then go to the Grant Application Portal to apply.
Applicants may request up to $30,000 depending on the scope of their projects. Projects should be conducted between Sept 15, 2020 and Sept 15, 2021. Applications must identify a scholar and how s/he will advise the project through the grant cycle. Each funded project will result in a lasting digital final product that will be added to HumanitiesDC Digital Museum.
Sample of Past Grant Activities
For questions, contact Andrea Carroll McNeil at email@example.com.