Major and Small Open Humanities Grant
OPEN CALL FOR INNOVATIVE HUMANITIES PROJECTS!
Learn more about these programs and how to apply below!
Major Grant – $1500-$5000 – Preliminary Application Due First Friday in February; Final Application Due First Friday in March – Download Sample Application.
This grant funds projects intended to bring the humanities disciplines to the people of Washington, DC. The program encourages creativity and open interpretation, but projects funded by a major grant must meet all of the requirements listed in the documentation below. Major Grants are awarded during Cycle I and require a Preliminary Application. The preliminary application can be accessed by logging onto the online grants system and completing the registration process. Preliminary applications will be reviewed by the Humanities Council and applicants will receive feedback before being invited to submit a final proposal. Check our events page for upcoming grants workshops and webinars!
Small Grant- Up to $1500 – Application Due First Friday in March – Download Sample Application
This grant also funds general public humanities projects, but usually is sought by applicants seeking to conduct preliminary research and planning.
Examples of Past Grant Projects:
- 2011 – Sadiki Africa Experience – by Lydia Curtis and Karen Daniels
- 2011 – Superheroes of Ward 1: Virginia Ali – by People’s Production House
- 2009 – Generations of Go-Go Trailer – by Keisha Dene’ Mitchell
- 2008 – Anacostia Exposed – by Mervyn Smith
- 2008 – Ira Blount: the Common Threads that Bind – by Beverly Lindsay-Johnson
- 2005 – Ready to Play – by Jennifer Crescenzo
- 2005 – Shepherd Park Past and Present – by Walter Gottlieb
- 2003 – The March of the Bonus Army – by Robert Uth and Glenn Marcus
- 2000 – Rhythm Rhyme and Life: Spoken Word and the Oral Tradition – by David Kehinde Chaytor
Additional Application and Reporting Info:
- Sample Major Grant Application
- Sample Small Grant Application
- Application Budget Sheet (.xlsx) – Must be uploaded with your online application
- Workshop Powerpoint (.pptx)
- Grant Conditions (.pdf)
- Final Report Packet (.doc) – Includes all necessary reporting forms.
- Humanities DC Logos